While picking up some produce at my favorite fruit stand, these bags of colorful, textured, chestnut size fruits caught my eye. What were these foreign fruits? I asked the man working at the stand, and to my surprise he yelled out “it’s Lychee!” I have eaten Lychee quite a few times, but in cocktails like Lychee martinis and coladas. I bought a bag of these strange little fellas without a clue on what to do with them. I cut one open and gave it a taste to see if anything would jump out at me. The sweet, tropical, floral, slightly nutty flavor was a match made in heaven for coconut and banana. This recipe is dairy free (contains eggs but no milk products) so if you are Lactose Intolerant this recipe is for you! These muffins are incredibly tasty and moist and if you bring them to your next event I assure you they will “rise” to the occasion…literally.
- ¼ Cup Pureed Fresh Lychees (make sure you peel them and remove the pits)
- ½ Cup Coconut Milk
- 1 ½ Bananas
- 1/3 Cup Canola Oil
- 1 ½ Teaspoons Vanilla
- 2 Cups All Purpose Flour
- 1 ½ Teaspoons Baking Soda
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Powder
- ½ Teaspoon Salt
- ¾ Cup White Granulated Sugar
- ½ Cup Sweetened Shredded Coconut
- ¼ Cup Fresh Lychees finely chopped (remove skin and pits)
(optional, but definitely adds flavor and makes them look pretty)
- 2 Tablespoons Powdered Sugar
- 1 ½ - 2 Tablespoons Coconut Milk
- 1 Tablespoon Shredded Sweetened Coconut
- A drop of Vanilla Extract
- Preheat the oven to 350F
- In a food processor or blender, blend together the pureed lychee (1/4 cup), coconut milk, bananas, canola oil and vanilla.
- In a large bowl stir together the dry ingredients- flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, and coconut.
- Pour the banana mixture into the flour mixture and mix it all together. Do not over mix or the muffins will be too dense.
- Gently fold in the chopped lychee.
- Scoop batter evenly into 12 muffin cups (use paper or foil muffin tin liners)
- Bake 20-25 minutes or until golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean when you stick it in the center of the muffin.
- Let the muffins cool
- To make the glaze, stir together all the glaze ingredients in a bowl.
- Using a pastry brush or a small off-set spatula, spread some of the glaze onto the top of each cupcake.
- Sprinkle some extra coconut over the top for decoration.
- Let the glaze dry and then enjoy!