For me, two ingredients that scream summertime cookin are seafood and citrus fruits. This recipe will show you that you do not have to sacrifice flavor to make a healthy, gourmet meal. The freshness and tanginess of the grapefruit compliment the creaminess of the avocado and the nutty, warm flavors of the coriander. Served over white rice cooked in fish or chicken stock, rice pilaf or couscous, this is the perfect dish to impress your friends at your next BBQ.
(Recipe Feeds 2 People)
- 2 Swordfish steaks (you can also use Tilapia Filets which can be more economical)
- The juices of ½ of a Large Grapefruit
- Section the other half of the Grapefruit (no skin, just the flesh)
- 1 ½ Tablespoons White Wine Vinegar
- A Dash of Salt & Pepper
- 1 ½ Teaspoons Honey
- 1 ½ Teaspoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Teaspoon Coriander Seeds- Lightly Toasted and Crushed up (You can put them in a bag and beat them with a meat mallet)
- 1/4 Teaspoon Chopped Ginger (I used jarred)
- 1/2 an Avocado
- 1 Medium Yellow Tomato Diced (you can use any type of tomato you like)
- In a medium sized bowl mix together the grapefruit juice, vinegar, salt & pepper, honey, olive oil, coriander and ginger
- With a sharp knife make a few small slits in the fish to better absorb the marinade.
- Place the fish in a large Ziploc bag and pour half of the grapefruit juice mixture in with the fish.
- Allow the fish to marinate in the refrigerator for about 15 minutes
- While the fish is marinating mix the grapefruit slices and diced tomato in the bowl with the remaining marinade
- Dice the avocado and mix it into the grapefruit mixture. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and set aside
- Remove the fish from the fridge.
- Heat up your outdoor grill or your grill pan inside your kitchen (some of us live in New York City apartments and do not have the ability to grill outside :) ) on medium/high heat.
- Drizzle a little bit of olive oil on your grill pan or baste your outdoor grill with some olive oil
- Grill the fish on medium/high heat for about 4-5 minutes on each side (make sure it is cooked all the way through)
- Remove from the heat and place the fish on top of the rice, couscous or whichever starch you decide to make.
- Top the grilled fish with the beautiful grapefruit/avocado salad and all the juices.