Green eggs is no longer just a phrase in a famous children’s book, it is now another delicious recipe in your repertoire. I just love a good egg salad, but it is full of mayonnaise which is fattening and high in calories. I had a craving for nice, creamy egg salad, but had just returned from the gym, so I came up with a dressing that is just as creamy as the mayo but is much healthier! A nice, ripe avocado does just the trick! When pureed with the vinegar, olive oil, lemon juice and other flavor components, the avocado turns into this mixture that is as smooth as silk and a beautiful sage green color. Enjoy it on a bed of lettuce, with sliced tomato or on your favorite bread!
(Feeds about 2 people)
- 1 Ripe Avocado
- 3 Tablespoons Lemon Juice (Fresh)
- Dash of Salt and Pepper
- 2 Teaspoons Dijon Mustard
- 1 ½ Teaspoons Honey
- 1 Tablespoon White Vinegar
- 4 Teaspoons Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Remove the pit and skin from the avocado and scoop the flesh out into a food processor or blender.
- Add the lemon juice, salt and pepper, Dijon, honey, vinegar, and olive oil.
- Blend until the mixture is silky and smooth.
- Add water a few tablespoons at a time until it has reached your desired texture. You want it to loosen up slightly so the eggs can be mixed in easily but do not make the mixture watery.
- 4 hard-boiled eggs (with or without yolks. I use two with yolks and two without to cut calories)
- 1/3 cup of the Avocado Dressing
- 2 Tablespoons Red Onion Finely Diced
- Chopped Chives or Fresh Dill (Garnish)
- Chop up the hard-boiled eggs.
- Toss the eggs with the red onion.
- Toss the egg mixture with the Avocado Dressing.
- Sprinkle with a little salt and pepper and fresh chopped chives or dill.
- Eat on top of sliced tomato, mixed greens or on your favorite bread!