This recipe is in honor of my best friend Chris and my sister’s wonderful boyfriend Mel. Both gentlemen are of Lebanese descent and have introduced me to some traditional Lebanese dishes that were unforgettable. Of course there is lamb, hummus, falafel etc. but one of my favorite Lebanese specialties is Tabbouleh. Tabbouleh is a Middle Eastern dish that may have started as far back as 4,000 years ago when the Arabs started utilizing grains like Bulgar Wheat. There are many ways to make Tabbouleh and many ways to spell it! Some recipes utilize much more parsley than Bulgar wheat and others predominantly consist of wheat and use the parsley as more of a flavoring agent. I love parsley, but I find it can be slightly tough in texture, so I prefer the wheat to be the star of the dish. My version is crunchy, creamy, nutritious and extremely refreshing. Pair it with a grilled piece of fish, lamb or chicken and you have the perfect healthy/hearty meal. There are many health benefits to eating this dish…so much that it is known as one of the healthiest salads or sides you can eat!
- 8.8 ounces of Bulgar wheat (I use the bag of Trader Joes 10 Minute Bulgar Wheat that is partially cooked)- Cook it according to the directions and cool in the fridge. I boil mine in part water and part chicken stock to give it more flavor.
- 1 Cup English Cucumber Diced
- 1 ½ Cups Fresh Tomato Diced
- ¼ Cup Green Scallions Finely Chopped
- ½ Cup Red Onion Finely Chopped
- ¾ Cup Fresh Italian Parsley Chopped
- 4 Medium Ears of Fresh Corn
- ½ Cup Fresh Lemon Juice
- ¼ Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 Teaspoon of Salt
- ½ Teaspoon Pepper
- ¾ Teaspoon Mustard Powder
- 2 Teaspoons Honey
- Preheat the oven to 400F
- Using a sharp knife, carefully slice the corn kernels off the cob. Put all the uncooked kernels in a bowl and toss them with about 1-2 Tablespoons of Olive Oil and a dash of salt and pepper.
- Spread the corn out evenly on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper or aluminum foil sprayed with nonstick cooking spray. Roast the corn in the preheated oven for 10 minutes or so, or until it is tender and starts to brown slightly.
- Set the corn aside when it is done.
- In a large bowl stir together the cooked and cooled bulgar wheat, diced cucumbers, tomatoes, scallions, onion, parsley and corn. Set aside.
- In a small bowl whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, salt, pepper, mustard powder and honey.
- Pour the oil mixture over the wheat mixture a little at the time, while tossing it with a fork.
- Once the ingredients are all evenly blended together, set it in the fridge to cool. You can eat it at room temperature, but I prefer to eat it chilled. You should make it several hour in advance or even a day in advance so all the flavors can macerate.
- Serve with your favorite protein. I enjoy mine with a nice piece of grilled fish, chicken or beef.