I absolutely LOVE oatmeal! It is warm and hearty and oh so comforting, especially in the morning before a long, stressful day of work. My mom will tell you that during my adolescent phase of life, I was often eating oatmeal three times a day…go figure. I love baked oatmeal because it has this great “oatmeal cookie” like outer crust and a warm gooey center. I add some delicious fresh fruits for their color, flavor, texture and nutrients of course! Fruit is the most natural way to give your body the energy boost it needs to start your day! This recipe is super easy and makes enough for about 3-4 servings, so you can make it and eat it a few days in a row for breakfast!
- 1 ½ Cups of Oats (Quaker Old Fashioned Whole Grain Oats)
- ½ Teaspoon of Baking Powder
- Dash of Salt
- 2 Tablespoons Dark Brown Sugar
- ½ Cup Fresh Blueberries
- 1 Large Banana
- ½ Teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- ¼ Teaspoon Cinnamon
- 1 Tablespoon of Butter (melted)
- 1 Cup Skim Milk
- 1 Egg
- ¼ Cup chopped Walnuts or Almonds (Optional)
- Preheat the oven to 375F
- Stir together the oats, 1 Tablespoon Dark Brown Sugar, Baking Powder, Salt, Nuts (optional), Cinnamon and Blueberries.
- In a separate bowl mash HALF of the banana (set aside the other half)
- Stir the Vanilla, Egg, Milk and Butter into the bowl with the banana. Stir until combined.
- Stir the milk/banana mixture into the oat mixture and mix until fully incorporated. Be careful not to break up the blueberries! Be gentle!
- Slice up the remaining half of the banana and set aside.
- Spray a small ceramic dish or pyrex loaf pan with nonstick cooking spray. You want to mixture to be about 3-4 inches high in the pan so it doesn’t dry out.
- Pour the oatmeal mixture into the dish and spread it out. Place the banana slices evenly over the top.
- Sprinkle the remaining Tablespoon of Brown Sugar over the top. (The brown sugar on top is optional if you are super health conscious.
- Bake for 35-45 minutes or until the top is slightly browned and the oats are nice and tender.