Growing up in a big Italian household we did not eat chicken wings…they just aren’t something Italians make! So then I went to college in Pennsylvania where you can find wings on every corner and what can I say…I fell in love! Not only did I fall in love with chicken wings, but I fell in love with a red headed, wing loving boy named Dan. Now here we are 6 years later, living together and I’m making chicken wings for him in our tiny NYC apartment. I try not to make the same wing recipe twice. I am always coming up with new and innovative wing flavors that are quick and easy to execute. Here is my Italian take on chicken wings! You’ve got zesty spices and fresh herbs like rosemary, basil and garlic and the beautiful salty bite of the fresh Parmesan.
Feeds about 2 people
- 2 ½ Lbs Chicken Wings (make sure the drum stick is detached from the small wing)
- ½ Teaspoon Ground Cumin
- ¼ Teaspoon Mustard Powder
- ½ Teaspoon Dried Oregano
- 1 Teaspoon Fresh Rosemary Chopped finely
- ½ Teaspoon Salt
- ¼ Teaspoon Ground Black Pepper
- ½ Teaspoon Onion Powder
- 1 Teaspoon Dried Parsley Flakes
- Dash of Cayenne Pepper (or more if you like spice)
- 2 Tablespoons Melted Butter
- 2 Tablespoons Fresh Chopped Basil
- 2 Cloves of Garlic Minced
- ¼ Cup of Freshly Grated Parmesan Cheese or Locatelli Cheese
Ranch or Blue Cheese Dressing to Serve
- Preheat the oven to 425F.
- In a small bowl stir together the Cumin, Mustard Powder, Oregano, Rosemary, Salt and Pepper, Onion Powder, Parsley and Cayenne.
- Lay the chicken wings on a baking sheet lined with aluminum foil sprayed lightly with cooking spray.
- Sprinkle the chicken wings with all of the spice mixture.
- Bake the chicken wings for about 20 minutes. While the chicken is baking, mix together the butter, fresh basil, garlic, parmesan cheese and a pinch of salt.
- When the chicken is cooked through, toss the wings with the butter mixture until fully coated. Then place the wings back in the oven for about 10 more minutes until they are golden and fragrant.
- Serve with the ranch or blue cheese and even hot sauce if you’d like and enjoy!