I have been named the "Brunch Queen" by my friends, family and clients, but with this reign comes a lot of pressure. I am constantly having to come up with new and innovative brunch dishes that will keep my guests excited. This dish all started with my love for dried Turkish Apricots. These apricots are the perfect amount of chewy and juicy and have a sweet but floral taste to them. Some of the classic Turkish desserts involve honey, rose essence, pistachios and spices so I decided to take these flavors and combine them into the perfect savory but sweet parfait. The good quality extra virgin olive oil I use in the granola just add this rich, savory element to the dish that is perfect with the sweet honey and apricots.
- 3 Cups Plain Greek Yogurt (I prefer 0% fat Fage)
- Rose Extract (only a few drops)
- Clover Honey
- Turkish Dried Apricots (or any apricots dried or fresh)
Pistachio Olive Oil Granola-
- 3 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 ½ cups raw pistachios, hulled
- 1 cup raw pumpkin seeds, hulled
- 1 cup coconut flakes ( I prefer the unsweetened coconut chips)
- ¾ cup pure maple syrup
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ½ cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom (optional)
Preheat oven to 300F degrees.
- In a large bowl, combine oats, pistachios, pumpkin seeds, coconut chips, maple syrup, olive oil, brown sugar, salt, cinnamon and cardamom.
- Spread mixture on a rimmed baking sheet in an even layer and bake for 45 minutes, stirring every 10 minutes, until golden brown and well toasted. Store in an airtight container or mason jars if you do not use all of it right away.
Assembling the parfaits-
- Choose the parfait glasses or bowls you would like to assemble the parfaits in and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the Greek yogurt with just 2-3 drops of Rose Extract. If you prefer a stronger rose flavor add more to your liking. Note that it is very strong and can be overpowering, you want the flavor to come through but subtly.
- Scoop a few tablespoons of the rose infused yogurt into each parfait cup. Drizzle the yogurt with clover honey, sprinkle it with a few pieces of the chopped apricots and the Pistachio Granola.
- Repeat the layers as many times as you like! Be sure to have the top layer include the granola, apricots and a nice drizzle of honey. Enjoy!